Monday, August 22, 2011

Love is better than anger...


Today is a sad day for all Canadians and for the world. One of the hardest working men in Canada has lost his battle to cancer.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.
~ Jack Layton

In an Open Letter to Canadians Jack left us with his final words. A call to stay positive and to continue fighting to make Canada, and the world a better place. It is something that everyone, not just his supporters, should read and take to heart. Jack was a fighter for all. He fought for the poor and disadvantage. He fought for seniors. He fought for education. He fought to make the world a better place.

As I have read in many place already today, this is a sentiment I must echo...he was the best Prime Minister we never had.

To read more about Jack go here and here, and here.

Le Bon Jack...you will be greatly missed.

4 Brilliant Teaching Thoughts:

Runde's Room said...

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Well said, Jack.

Thanks for posting this Beth.
Jen (a fellow Canadian)
Runde's Room

April Brown said...

Hi Beth,
As a fellow Canadian, I am feeling the same loss you are. I'm sitting here watching the news feeling that we've lost a great leader. It's a shame when anyone looses the battle with cancer. I lost my aunt last year around this time. I wished he had been our Prime Minister, I think this could have been an even better country than it already is.
My prayers go out to his family and what difficult time they are going through. Thank you for posting this for the world of teachers to read.
Ms. Brown's Grade 2 Class

Beth said...

Jen and April, Thanks for your comments. It's been a hard day for Canadians. Hopefully his legacy will be that people are inspired to continue his work.
Beth

Beverley Baird said...

We came back from a week long trip last night and the first news I heard was about Jack layton. I could not believe it. He was Canada's hope - we needed him so badly. I am still in shock.
His letter was a real call to all Canadians - hard to believe tho that this man spent his dying hours writing this. What a tribute to such a great man.

Post a Comment

Hello!!
Thank you taking the time to leave a comment.
I truly appreciate it.
Beth

 
Pin It button on image hover